Our Mission:

Providing the finest 
waste disposal 
and recycling services.

2011 Business of the Year Award Seal

100 best green   Can Cancer  



How do I sign up for new garbage service?

If you live within the Redmond city limits, you must first contact the City to establish your water/sewer account at 541-923-7765.

Once this is set up, contact High Country Disposal with your account number to set up your garbage service at 541-548-4984.

All other areas, please contact us at (541) 548 - 4984.

How do I change or stop my garbage service?

Contact us at 541-548-4984.

What time should the roll carts be placed out and does it matter how they are placed at the curb?

Please have your garbage and recycling out by 6:00 a.m. (7:00 a.m. within the Sisters city limits) or the night before on your collection day. Place cart in the street by the curb with roll cart handle toward the house, lid opening toward the street. Keep four feet of clear space on either side of cart. Do not place behind parked cars.

I’m going on vacation; can I temporarily stop my service?

You can temporarily suspend your service while you are out of town. Please call us in advance at 541-548-4984 to ensure credit is posted to your account. Special conditions apply to yard debris subscription service.

What is your holiday schedule?

High Country Disposal collects on all holidays except for Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. If those holidays fall on a weekday, your collection will be delayed by one day. For example, if your collection day is Thursday, your service will be on Friday. Friday collection would be on Saturday. All other holidays are regular schedule.

What do I do if my pick-up was missed or not set out in time?

Call us at 541-548-4984. If we missed the pick-up, we can credit your account, pick up extra trash the following week at no charge or have the driver go back if he is still in your neighborhood. If your cart was not set out in time a “Go Back” charge may apply if the driver is already out of the immediate area.

Will you take large or bulky items?

We can pick-up most large bulky items such as beds, couches, hot tub covers, other debris, etc. Call us for service and disposal fees. We’ll determine if the regular route driver can collect your items or if we need to send a separate truck. We can also pick-up old appliances and tires for recycling for a charge. Contact customer service for rates.

What is an extra garbage charge?

Lids slightly up, no more than 3-4 inches will not incur an additional charge.

Lids popped up more than 3-4 inches are considered “overfull” and would incur an additional charge. As well as small or large bags on top of or beside the roll cart will be charged as such.

What shouldn’t go in my garbage roll cart?

Rock, sod, dirt, heavy steel, scrap metal aren’t meant for your roll cart or our trucks. They could potentially make the cart too heavy for the mechanical arm to lift and are likely to cause damage to the truck itself. Please call us for other options for disposal of heavy material.


Is yard debris service part of your garbage service?

Yard debris is an annual subscription service for customers within the Redmond city limits. For residents within the Sisters city limits, yard debris is part of their service. Click on yard debris for information regarding the program and how to sign up if you live within the Redmond city limits.

What items can I put in my yard debris cart?

Grass clippings, brush, weeds, pine needles, plant prunings, branches no larger than 2” in diameter and 36” in length.  Raw fruit & vegetable scraps such as apple cores, banana peels, potato skins, zucchini, pumpkins, coffee grounds & filter, tea bags, etc. Please do not put yard debris in plastic bags.

What items are unacceptable in the yard debris cart?

Please do not put any yard debris or fruit & vegetable scraps in plastic bags.  No fruit or vegetable stickers, plastic bags, plastic wrap or plastic containers, egg shells, processed or cooked fruits or vegetables, animal product or any biodegradable food ware such as paper plates, cups, etc. No rocks, dirt or garbage.

Can I recycle my Christmas tree in my yard debris cart?

Christmas tree can be recycled in your yard debris cart. Just cut your tree down to 3 or 4 smaller pieces so it can fit into your yard debris cart and call us to come pick it up.

If I’m not using my yard debris cart, do I still have to pay for it?

Yard debris is a yearly subscription service. When you sign up, you are agreeing to keep the service for the entire year. Early cancellation fee is $10.00. There is also a $10.00 fee to restart the service within the year.


Do you sell compost?

Yes. Our compost comes from our sister company Deschutes Recycling and is the only locally produced compost to carry the US Composting Seal of Testing Assurance. We offer compost in bulk or cubic foot bags. We offer self-haul or delivery. Our compost hours are 8 am - 4 pm, Monday - Friday. For more information click here

Do you have compost spreaders?

Yes. We have compost spreaders available for easy application. Please click below to download the rental agreement. HCD Compost Spreader Agreement Form

How do I dispose of hazardous waste and liquid waste?

You cannot dispose of hazardous or liquid waste in your garbage roll carts. Click on the Deschutes County Department of Solid Waste or the State of Oregon Department of Equality (DEQ) for information on how to dispose of these materials and what is acceptable and not acceptable.

How can I dispose of medical waste?

Central Oregon Environmental Services, a division of Bend Garbage & Recycling, has specially trained personnel for the collection and disposal of medical waste items used in your home or medical office.  These materials are disposed of safely and in accordance with state law. Click onto our medical waste page for more information or contact our customer service department.

Do you offer paper shredding / document destruction?

SecureShred is a division of Bend Garbage & Recycling and offers complete onsite document destruction. SecureShred services all of Central Oregon and offers free-locking roll carts for your home or business. We also offer walk-in service at our High Country Disposal business office located at 1090 NE Hemlock Avenue in Redmond. Other walk-in locations include:

Bend Garbage located at 20835 NE Montana Way, Bend.

Deschutes Recycling located at Knott Landfill at 61050 SE 27th St. in Bend. Open Monday – Saturday 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Do you provide Drop Boxes & Rent-A-Bins?

Drop Boxes and Rent-A-Bins are perfect for remodeling jobs, construction projects or any special clean up needs you may have. We will deliver to your location and just call us when it’s full. Contact our customer service department for rates.


Can I recycle glass?

Glass recycling services are provided within the Redmond city limits only.  Residents outside the Redmond city limits can take their glass to Negus Transfer Station for recycling and Sisters residents can take glass to the Sisters Recycle Center.

Where can I take items for recycling?

Negus Transfer Station & Recycling Center  2400 NE Maple Avenue Redmond, OR 97756 Hours Open to the Public: Monday-Saturday, 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Closed Sunday
Sisters Recycle Center 328 W Sisters Park Dr. Sisters, OR 97759 541-548-4984
Northwest Transfer Station & Recycling Center 68200 Fryrear Road Sisters, OR 97759 Hours Open to the Public: Wednesday-Saturday, 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.

Knott Landfill Recycling & Transfer Facility & Admin Offices
61050 SE 27th Street Bend, OR 97702 Seasonal Hours Open to the Public: November 1 to April 30 hours: Monday - Saturday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.  Closed Sunday May 1 to October 31 hours: 7 Days/week, 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Administration Office: Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m

What items can I recycle in my recycling cart?

Simply download the Recycling Guide or contact our customer service office.


What has changed with my bill?

High Country Disposal is now Republic Services. Your bill will have a different look and account number (some account numbers will remain unchanged).  None of this will impact the current service you are provided or the rates you pay for those services. Your account number is in the top right corner of your invoice, along with other key information such as the invoice number, total amount due, and due date. Redmond city customers will pay their bill through the city billing.

Do I need to re-enroll for online bill pay or auto pay?

If you were previously registered with High Country Disposal, you will need to re-enroll using your Republic Services account information. Enroll through the Republic Services App or by visiting www.republicservices.com/myaccount. Redmond city customers will need to register for online bill pay through the city of Redmond billing.    

What is your billing cycle?

  • Residential and commercial customers are billed monthly for the previous month’s service, (for example; in January you will receive the bill for December). Payment due by the 20th of each month.
  • Redmond city customers are billed monthly through their city bill.

What are your payment options and locations?

New and easy ways to pay your bill At Republic Services, we make paying your bill easy and stress free. Below are your different payment options:
  • Pay by Mail - Mail your payment with the remittance portion of your invoice to the address below.

Republic Services PO Box 78829 Phoenix, AZ 85062-8829

Redmond city customers will pay their bill through the city billing.
  • Pay by App - Republic Services™ is the new and FREE app available for Apple™ and Android™ devices! Simply download it in either the Apple App Store or the Android Market Place, create a username and password, and then input your bill invoice number and you are ready to go.
Redmond city customers will pay their bill through the city billing.
  • Pay Online - You can save time by enrolling in online bill pay through the Republic Services App or by visiting www.republicservices.com/myaccount. If you were previously registered for online bill pay, you need to re-enroll using your Republic Services account information. Click on Sign Up and follow the instructions to enroll.
Redmond city customers will pay their bill through the city billing.
  • Pay by Phone - Use the automated service to pay by phone by calling (877) 692-9729.
Redmond city customers will pay their bill through the city billing.
  • Pay In Person – Office is located at 1090 NE Hemlock Ave., Redmond, OR 97756. Open Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm.  Please do not deposit cash in the payment box.
Redmond city customers will pay their bill through the city billing.
  • Drop off
    • Redmond Senior Center Drop Box 325 NW Dogwood Avenue, Redmond, OR 97756
    • Sisters City Hall Drop Box 520 E. Cascade Avenue, Sisters OR 97759. Drop box is labeled “Utility Payments”
We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express Contact our local customer service team at (541) 548-4984